It’s strange – only a few years ago I used to love spending my time in bed. I used to wake up super late on the weekend, read and relax all day and just do what I wanted. I used to come home from school or work and sit on the sofa all afternoon and evening, watching TV and just reading – so why is it now that I’m an adult, I find relaxing so difficult?
I think there is a massive pressure on our generation to always be busy. You have to be busy all day at work and then come home and be busy working on your ‘side hustle’ all evening – being a #girlboss is the ultimate compliment and those evenings you secretly do spend just sitting on the sofa are kept strictly off social media and relegated to the secrecy of your own four walls. My problem is that, when those days do come around when I decide to down tools for the evening in favour of a night in front of Netflix or reading a magazine, I totally forget how to do it.
It sounds so stupid but it almost makes me anxious that I’m not sat there typing up a blog post or frantically editing a video to upload later in the week – and I realise just how unhealthy a mindset that is to have. So in an effort to get myself to relax a little more and to help you guys relax too, here are my top 5 tips for a relaxing evening in Autumn/Winter:
- Blankets – whether you want to snuggle under them or make some sort of blanket fort, you cannot deny that they make the best addition to your cosy relaxation evening.
- I love to apply a face mask to give my skin a little boost! My favourites include this bad boy from the Body Shop, and basically anything by 7th Heaven (their charcoal peel off masks in particular are a fave right now). I also love to give my hair a treat, especially after wrecking it somewhat this year with bleach! If, like me, your hair is in need of a little TLC this Autumn/Winter, check out ESalon’s range of treatments – or if you fancy a change check out their bespoke hair colour kits!
- Candles! I never used to be a candle fan being so scared that they would somehow set my house on fire, however now that I’m older and common sense prevails I adore burning my favourite scented candles. At the moment I’m favouring by Pumpkin Rum candle from Homesense but I have a gorgeous one from Chelsea Candle just waiting for December 1st.
- Netflix – I mean I feel like this is a fairly commonplace tip for any evening, let alone a relaxing one, but there is something about putting your feet up and watching your favourite series that can’t be beaten. My favourite ever series is Gossip Girl, and I would watch it on repeat back to back forever given the chance, but I like to give myself a break in between just so I don’t ever get bored of it. I’m currently working my way through both Riverdale and Ru Paul, while also watching Stranger Things 2 with Joe. I would also recommend Orphan Black and Shadowhunters which I need to catch up on, and also Dexter.
- A good book – I read every night regardless but my absolute number one favourite way to switch off is getting stuck into a good book. I’m currently reading The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman which is so far, amazing, and I have a massive stash of books to take away on holiday with me this month that I cannot wait to get stuck into.
So there we have it! My top 5 ways to relax – a huge thank you to E Salon who asked me to write this post (not sponsored, just for the fun of it!) and actually take the time to sit and relax. It’s something I definitely need to do more often! Oh and before you ask, these boujee faux-silk pjs of dreams are the Harry Potter for Primark collection!
Follow me on: