I turned 25 this year, and while I understand that in the grand scheme of things that is still relatively young, I’m also very, very aware it’s only 5 years off 30 and I’m actually closer now to 50 than I was to 0. So, well, yeah…
This year is all about me being positive and trying to overcome my demons, and I’m a huge fan of learning new skills in an effort to better myself. Therefore, as a quick post this Sunday while I’m at home with my doggies, I thought I’d round up 10 things I’d like to learn before I turn 30 – hopefully by laying these down at the age of 25 I’m giving myself enough time to achieve them before my deadline…
1. I need to learn how to cook. I am abysmal in the kitchen and I would love so much to be able to host a dinner party for my friends and family without them fearing for their health.
2. I’d like to be able to speak another language. Now hell, if I can be fluent that would be incredible but I’d happily settle for being conversationally competent. The only thing is, I can’t for the life of me decide what language I’d like to learn. I’d adore to be able to speak Arabic or Mandarin but of course those are hella ambitious. I’ll probably play it safe and aim for French as I’ve already got a fairly decent education in it, or perhaps German/Spanish/Italian. Who knows!
3. To stand up for myself. I am forever backing down from confrontations and refusing to stand up for myself. At some point before I’m 30 I’d like to learn how to be more assertive!
4. Swimming – I can do it in the shallow end of the pool when I know that I can comfortably put my feet on the floor but the minute I go out of my depth I flail around and sink without a trace. I want to be able to swim at least into deep water and y’know, not freak out the moment someone splashes me.
5. To play an instrument. When I was little I played guitar for a little bit and I always wish I’d never given it up. now however my ambitions lie with the saxophone – I’m a huge lover of jazz and there is something so soulful about this instrument. Plus it features heavily in The 1975’s music so y’know…
6. I’d like to learn how to style hair properly – I’ve never been able to do more than plait my hair really and I’m always so envious of these women who can achieve the perfect up do from home or do wild and crazy things with their locks. TEACH ME YOUR SECRETS!
7. I’d like to learn how to edit videos properly. I’m confident with cutting pieces of footage together and transitions etc but I’d love to know how to colour grade properly and make cute animated graphics.
8. Budgeting!! Seriously now, before I’m 30 I want to have actually got to grips with being able to budget my finances properly so I don’t spend every month scraping pennies together to get me through to payday. Someone good with money seriously needs to take me in hand here.
9. I’d like to learn how to exercise in a way that’s going to achieve the goals I want to set in a way that is healthy for my body. All bodies are different and while one thing may work for one person, it may not for another. I want to learn exactly what I need to do alongside a balanced diet to achieve the body of my dreams.
10. Stop worrying all the time. I’ve worried constantly since I was a child, I think it’s ingrained in my nature, but I’d actually really like to stop. I’m fed up of always being a stressed, anxious head case and I’d like to approach my 30’s calm and collected and ready to completely girl boss the hell out of the rest of my life please.
Are there any things you’d like to learn before your next age milestone? Let me know in the comments below.
Follow me on: