I have been completely obsessed with Christmas since I was a little girl – which probably doesn’t surprise you even slightly. And is probably the same for most people. But regardless, this time of year makes me happier than any other – I live for cold weather, Christmas songs on the radio, naughty food, decorations everywhere and the excitement of watching my loved ones opening their gifts on Christmas Day.
One of my other favourite things about the festive season is watching Christmas films. Most of my happy memories about the lead up to Christmas over the years have been linked to the films that I used to watch, with some of them becoming part of a festive routine that Mum and I used to have – its not Christmas until you’ve watched Santa Claus after all!
So without further ado, I thought I’d list my favourite festive flicks for you all:
- Santa Claus – this film kept me believing in Father Christmas for a LOT longer than I ought to have done but there was just something so believable about it. I loved the dual narratives – the journey Patch the elf goes on in New York, the blossoming relationship between Cornelia the girl from the privileged family, and Joe the homeless boy wandering New York’s streets at Christmas. Plus Dudley Moore is the most believable Santa ever.
- Elf – a classic film I’m sure you’ll agree! I love Will Ferrell in most films but this one takes the biscuit. Probably the most quotable Christmas film too, it follows the story of Buddy the elf – who’s not quite an elf…Buddy makes his way to New York in order to discover his true family but nothing works out quite as he expected. I watch this every year while wrapping my presents – usually on December 10th (hey I’m a stickler for tradition ok?!)
- A Christmas Carol – I think my favourite version of this is the Muppet’s Christmas Carol however there is another version with ‘real’ actors that I remember watching and enjoying in Year 7. It never really feels like Christmas until I watch it, and my heart always melts at Tiny Tim.
- The Night Before Christmas – ok so the jury is still out on whether this is a Halloween film or a Christmas film but I watch it at Christmas regardless. Never one to miss a good sing-a-long opportunity it’s another one that I watch without fail every year while I wrap up my presents and write my cards.
- Love Actually – ok how could I not include this?! Following the lives of a series of adults (and one ridiculously cute kid) as they battle love and romance during the holiday season. It’s beautiful and heart wrenching and absolutely fantastically festive, plus Hugh Grant definitely makes the hottest Prime Minister ever.
What are your festive favourites? Let me know in the comments below – especially if it gives me the opportunity to sing along! Make sure you’re following me on Bloglovin’ if you’re not already so you don’t miss a single Blogmas post. Tomorrow I’m giving you a sneak peek at the products I’m LOVING for my hair right now.
Follow me on: