Ahhh winter. In my mind, I always romanticise this season. It’s all about the cold weather, cute days when your breath shows on the air as you grip your seasonal Starbucks takeout cup of Pumpkin Spice Latte. Your makeup looks perfectly dewy as you grip a sparkler at a bonfire, and your friends take candid but always totally flattering photos of you and this gorgeous guy who just happens to be your boyfriend you’re madly in love with.
Imagination is a great thing isn’t it?
In reality, for most of this winter my breath will be showing on the air because I can’t afford to turn the heating on in my apartment, leading to my wearing multiple layers of jumpers so I begin to bare an uncanny resemblance to the Michelin man. I don’t have a gorgeous guy I’m madly in love with, instead I spend my evenings wrapped in blankets binge watching the US Office and crying over Jim Halpert into my bowl of Rice Krispies. And yet, winter is still my absolute favourite season in the world ever.
So my lovely ladies and gents, this Sunday night I’m giving you my top 10 winter essentials – think of it as a sort of seasonal survival guide if you wish.
1. Socks. Now don’t be fooled, socks may be those boring things that you kinda wear just because you have to. And the little buggers have an annoying habit of getting lost in the wash somehow – but never underestimate the power of a good sock. Especially bed socks in winter, just all the heart eye emojis. All of them.
2. Netflix. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but there’s nothing better in the winter than curling up on the sofa with a share sized bar of chocolate (to yourself ofc because who actually shares those things?!) and a good box set on Netflix. It is literally my favourite thing to do in the winter (aside from binge watching and binge reading Harry Potter simultaneously because ’tis the season and all that).
3. Layers (or ‘lairs’ as Mary Bezza calls them). Ok so I might leave the house frequently resembling Joey in that episode of Friends, or alternatively as though I have eaten all of the pies. BUT AT LEAST I AM WARM OK?! When you live in Manchester you can’t argue with my choice of wearing four sweaters on top of my t-shirt with a jacket and scarf on top of that. Just, apologies in advance when I try and unwrap myself when I get back inside, I mean I might be a while ok? Ok.
4. Comfort food. Roast dinners, stews, pies, chips, gravy, warm things. Just warm things. Probably another reason why I love layers too – they hide a multitude of sins.
5. Christmas. I mean I don’t even think I need to give any sort of detail on this. Who the hell doesn’t enjoy Christmas?! It’s literally the best invention of the modern man.
6. Family time. Family time is definitely a winter essential – what would be the point of a super cute festive season without family and friends to share the happiness with? This is the time of year I turn crazy generous and want to basically shower my favourite people in love and gifts to show them how special they are.
7. Alcohol. Ok so I shouldn’t promote drinking on my blog (stay in school kids!) but going out at Christmas is definitely better than going out at any other time of the year. I think it’s because everyone is just so happy and full of Christmas spirit (that’s what we’re calling it these days) and the happiness is just infectious and it makes me happy too ok? Ok.
8. Christmas markets. Manchester’s Christmas markets are incredible and I’m so excited to be able to explore them properly this year as a resident rather than a ‘tourist’ as such. They’re definitely a winter essential – they go such a long way in getting everyone in the mood for the festivities and there’s always such a great atmosphere and joi de vivre and I’m sure I haven’t spelt that correctly but I’m kinda in a weird haze of tiredness ok so please don’t judge me.
9. Blankets. I mean blankets are great all year round but they’re even better in the winter when making a blanket fort becomes the obvious solution to most of life’s problems. Throw in a hot water bottle or two and the aforementioned Netflix and you’re basically in heaven.
10. Bed. Bed is an essential all year round. Bed will always be my favourite place to be but especially in winter because I can lie in it and feel stupidly smug that I’m warm and cosy and therefore not outside where it is most definitely not warm and cosy and also probably quite wet considering I live in Manchester which is essentially Rain City.
So there you have it, my 10 winter essentials! Do you guys have any that you’d add to my list? Let me know!